In 1887 the authorities prohibited both locals and visitors from drawing sketches or taking photographs of "any part of Gibraltar or any battery, fieldwork or fortification" Anybody really keen on doing so was forced to ask permission from the Governor. Whether this was easily forthcoming or not is hard to tell, but the outcome was that the majority of easily available photographs of the Rock dating from the late 19th to the early 20th - such as those produced commercially for postcard purposes - tended to be repetitive and unoriginal.
The photographs below - possibly taken by the anonymous gentleman shown above - are presumably the work of an enthusiastic amateur who managed several original shots despite pointing his camera in the same direction as everybody else. Here they are.
A view looking north towards Buena Vista Barracks possibly taken from Europa Road - the Rocks and waves just below it are part of Camp Bay
Buena Vista Barrack taken through the trees - very similar to the previous photograph
The New Mole - which was now known as the South Mole (see LINK) - showing two of the three Dry Docks in the area. No1 is furthest from the camera and is the biggest. It was named the Prince of Wales Dock in 1906 and was first used in 1904. The ship being serviced in it is probably the pre-dreadnought HMS King Edward VII. Dry Dock No 2, the next biggest lies nearer the camera. It was christened the Queen Alexander Dock in 1905. Dry Dock 3 - the smallest and named King Edward VII Dock lies closest but out of sight.
Probably Europa Road, looking south
What was once the Europa Advance Battery looking south. This often photograph site usually included a few artillery men manning the odd cannon. By the time this photograph was taken the canon had been removed
Not far from where the previous photo was taken but looking north with the Governor's Cottage straight ahead and the lighthouse in the distance. The two gharries - Gibraltar's preferred tourist transport at the time - may have been hired by the photographer
A rather empty looking wharf which was usually swarming with small craft
Passengers - probably Spanish workers - disembarking from the Algeciras paddle ferry. The ship was probably the Elvira part of the fleet belong to the Algeciras (Gibraltar) Railway Company (see LINK)
The same Spanish ferry as shown above
The Galleries (see LINK) from the Inundation - the houses along the shore on the left were part of the Isolation Hospital
Wall protecting what were possibly military owned buildings along Devil's Tower Road in North Front