The People of Gibraltar
1879 - The Gibraltar Directory - The Signals

 Hohenloe, Phillimore and Addison - Fenwick Williams, Yelverton and McRae

The Theatre
In Governor's parade, is extremely unworthy of the place, and it is to be hoped that some means may be adopted to provide a better and more commodious building for the amusement of the inhabitants.

The Convent
South port-street, the official residence of the Governor, was formerly a Convent of Franciscan Friars. It is a plain building, but spacious and commodious, with good reception-rooms. The banqueting-room, built in 1864, is enriched with the shields of arms, flags, mottoes, &c, of illustrious persons connected with Gibraltar, and of all the Governors of the fortress since 1704.


The entrance to the Convent shortly after the banqueting room was built     ( 1868 - Unknown )

The stained glass in some of the windows shows the Royal Arms, Arms of Gibraltar, &c, and on panels in the others are emblazoned the Arms of illustrious Spanish personages connected with Gibraltar, lists of Moorish Caliphs who possessed it from 711 to 1465, and of Spanish Kings who possessed it until 1704.

On the panels under the windows are the names of distinguished Spaniards connected with Gibraltar. The beams of the roof are covered with crests and mottoes. The angels forming the corbels of the roof (designed by Prince Victor of Hohenlohe) support shields charged with the monograms of the principal kings and queens of Spain and Great Britain who have possessed Gibraltar. There are also many interesting paintings, engravings, &c, in this hall.

 Victor Ferdinand  . .  Hohenlohe-Langenburg was the son of Princess Feodora who was Queen Victoria's half-sister. He was also a captain in the Royal Navy and must have either been visiting or was stationed in Gibraltar when he created the design.

Sailors' Home
Engineer-street.—This excellent Institution (supported by voluntary contributions) was established mainly through the exertions of Captain Phillimore, R.N., senior naval officer, and the Rev. Canon Addison. The house was partially opened for the reception of seamen on July 25, 1871, in the presence of H.E. the Governor, General Sir William Fenwick Williams, G.C.B., Rear-Admiral Beauchamp Seymour, C.B., and the principal inhabitants of Gibraltar, and was finally completed and opened by H.E. the Governor and Vice-Admiral Sir H. A. Yelverton, K.CB., on 20th June, 1872.

The Home has given accommodation during the last year to 1,910 seamen, and 170 shipwrecked sailors have been received into the establishment during the year. The number of seamen who have made use of the Home since its establishment amounts to 17,618.

The Civil Hospital
occupies the site of the hospital of San Juan de Dios, which existed when the Rock was in the hands of the Spaniards. It is in three divisions—Church of England, Roman Catholic, and Hebrew—each under the management of a committee of gentlemen of its own religion.

The Civil Hospital

The Dockyard
A small Establishment, but sufficient for the wants of the ships touching here, except in great emergencies, being only a few days distant from the home Dockyards, and from Malta, the latter being now the Head Quarters of the Mediterranean Fleet. Its resources have always been found ample for the calls usually made upon them.

In the Camber, vessels are permitted to be hauled down and repaired, on the payment of a small sum per ton per diem. A Dock is to be built here and the resources of the whole establishment largely increased.

R.E. Barracks, Alameda Parade and Dockyard  ( Early 20th century )

Naval Hospital 

Large and commodious, built in a square with an open court, containing some beautiful orange-trees. It is the general hospital for the whole garrison as well as for seamen.  

The Naval Hospital    ( 1869  - Unknown )

From the married quarters at Rosia, better known as Misery Hole, a path leads over Camp Bay to the Naval Hospital, and from there the visitor can get through the Buena Vista barracks, across a slight bridge over a tremendous ravine to Europa Pass, and thence by the Devil's Bowling green to Europa. In this route the general outline of the scenery is very grand.  

The ravine to Europa Pass ( Unknown )

Tunny Fishing
The tunny fishery formerly was of the greatest importance, and yielded an enormous revenue. It is related that in 1558, 110,152 fish were taken, giving a revenue of 80,000 ducats, and the average take of fish was over 100,000 yearly. Many of the watch-towers along the coast were erected as posts of observation for experienced fishermen, whose duty it was to signal the shoals.

San Roque.
This town was built in 1704 by the Spaniards after the loss of Gibraltar, chieflv from the ruins ef the ancient city of Carteia, famous in the days of Rama and Carthage, which was situated in a bay further along the sands. San Roque is situated on an eminence, and is very healthy.

The population is about 8,000. It has a bull-ring, where, during the fair time, a "cuadrilla" of performers take part in the popular and brutal amusement of bull-fights. It is the chief town of the Campo de Gibraltar, and has always been the headquarters of the different Spanish and French armies engaged in the siege of the Rock.

The King of Spain still includes Gibraltar in his dominions, and in Spanish official documents it is mentioned as "temporarily in the possession of the English," and all persons born on the Rock are entitled to the rights of native Spanish subjects.

At McRae's Hotel, Calle San Felipe, an excellent glass of milk-punch can be  obtained, and the owner, who was for more than 39 years the Post-office agent between San Roque and Gibraltar, is always ready and willing to draw upon his memory for a store of anecdotes connected with the place and its associations.

San Roque  ( 1870s - George Washington Wilson )

Orange Grove
If, instead of turning off to the right to Campamento, on the road to San Roque, the traveller continues along the beach, he first comes to Orange-grove (Puente Mayorga), a small fishing village, where there is a picturesque bridge over a little river, which, although placid enough in general, yet, when swollen by heavy rains, becomes a torrent, and cuts a path to the sea through the sand, in which it otherwise loses itself. Two officers and the driver of their car were drowned here a few years ago.

On the right hand, close to the river, on the eminence called 'El Rocadillo' now a farm, the corn grows where once Carteia flourished. This was the Phoenician Melcarth  (King's-town). The remains of an amphitheatre and the circuit of walls, about two miles, may yet be traced.

From its ruins materials were taken to build Algeciras and San Roque. Two rivers intersect the coast road - Guadaranque and Palmones; these have to be crossed in ferry-boats, and then the way is quite clear.

The Orange Grove     ( 1772 - Francis Carter  )

This town was built by the Moors, and the name, signifying "the Green Island," is still preserved in the island opposite, " La Isla Verde." The King of Spain is also King of Algeciras, a remnant of his former greatness, it being one of the keys of the Moors to Spain.

Modern Algeciras was rebuilt by Charles III. in 1750, to be a hornets' nest against Gibraltar, swarming with privateers in  war time, and with guarda costas in peace. It is a large place, population about 12,000, but very dull and sleepy—a type of all the towns to be seen in the south of Spain.

The land communication from it to the interior is very bad. It is the head quarters of the force stationed over the Campo Santo, as the Spaniards still call the whole country round Gibraltar, and the commandant is the Governor of the place.

Signal Station

The above rather complicated gunfire, flag and leather ball system was used at the Signal Station   ( Late 19th century - A Guesdon )