This 19th century road cuts right across the isthmus from its western end to the site of the tower itself on the east. I am not sure when it was built and named but it must have been before 1865 as it appears on a model of the Rock (see LINK) which was completed that year.
Camino de la Torre del Diablo – a precursor of the modern Devil’s Tower Road (1887 - Direcion Higrografica de España )
Devil's Tower Road with the cemetery to the north ( Late 19th century – G. W. Wilson ) (See LINK)
Stones from Puerto Basura - a quarry near the eastern end of Devil’s Tower Road were taken by rail westward along the road to a jetty where they were then transported to wherever they were required during the harbour improvements of the late 19th and early 20th century
Early 20th century Ordnance map
The eastern end of the Road with the Tower that gave it its name ( 1912 )
Photograph taken from the “Notch” looking down on the western end of Devil’s Tower Road – The zigzag path leads to an opening right underneath Willis’s Battery. The opening was excavated by the Spaniards during the 13th Siege of Gibraltar (see LINK). The intention was to mine it in order to blow up the Battery. It was never finished but the plan was taken up again during the Great Siege (see LINK) in the late 18th century but with equal lack of success ( 1930s )
A very makeshift bridge over part of the Inundation joining the western end of the Devil’s Tower Road to the Isolation Hospital area (1935 )
During the early 20th century and even just after the return of the Gibraltarian refugees at the end of WW II it was not exactly the most beautiful of roads.
The old incinerator near the eastern end of the road
The old incinerator being demolished
Three rather unattractive views from or of the Devil’s Tower Road looking towards the north face of the Rock ( Mid 20th century )
At the time of writing the road is still there.