The People of Gibraltar
1790 - Prince Edward's Gate - Gibraltar

A gate to the east of the Southport Gates traverses the lower section of Charles V Wall. It  was constructed in 1790 and was named after one of George II's sons who happened to be serving in Gibraltar at the time  Unlike other gates in Gibraltar, it has never been known as anything else but Prince Edward's Gate which in a sense is rather unfortunate as the Prince - now also known as the Duke of Kent - returned in 1802 as Governor of the Rock. He proved to be one of the most unpopular military appointments ever to be sent to Gibraltar. 

French map showing position of Prince Edward's Gate in relation to South Port Garte ( 1830s - Piaget and Lailavoir )

Prince Edward's Gate from the Alameda ( 1830's - G. Vivian T Boys )

Prince Edward's Gate from the Alameda ( 1846 - J. M . Carter ) 

During the mid to late 20th century, a red plaque was placed on the outside of a sentry box just next to the north eastern side of the gate which read as follows.

An inscription here used to read
“God and the soldier all men adore
 In time of danger and no more, for
 when war is over and all things righted all things righted,
 God is neglected and the old soldier slighted.” 

The truth is that the inscription was somewhat inappropriate in so far as Gibraltar and the British were concerned. F rom 1704 more or less right up to the 20th century, no amount of peace would ever allow the authorities to turn a blind eye to the slightest suspicion of weakness to the Rock's defences or it garrison Perhaps it had been true of the sentiments of the civilian population the engraving might have read;

Pasado el peligro, adiós al santo. 

At the time of writing, the gate and the sentry box are still there as is the red plaque 

Prince Edward's Gate with added pedestrian passageway (Early 20th century)

Prince Edward's Gate Sentry Box (Early 21st century)